“It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” – Albert Einstein
Do you have a skill you would like to share with our community? Do you want to be valued and appreciated for your skill and contributions? Would you like to help others discover the joy of creating things? Then you should teach with the Duluth Folk School!
What are we looking for?
- Strong educators who value hands-on, experiential teaching
- People with good technical knowledge of their subject area
- Instructors who use effective lesson plans
- The ability to connect with people who have a variety of skill levels
- The willingness to work with small class sizes (usually 12 or fewer attendees)
- People who want to teach just once or twice per year. Or… people who want to teach once or twice per month!
- Teachers who like to have fun with their classes!
- And maybe just a little quirkiness
What does the Duluth Folk School provide?
- We provide a venue that fits with your topic.
- We will advertise your course (although you should share it throughout your social circles as well!)
- We handle registrations and payments.
- We conduct background checks on all instructors.
- We provide liability insurance.
- We can work with you to determine an appropriate length for your class. 2-3 hours per class session is common, and most courses typically run for one or two sessions. Of course, in-depth skills can require more time, so sometimes a longer class makes sense.
- We can work with you to determine appropriate course material fees. Typically, you will be responsible for obtaining the materials for the course, and we will pay your for the materials.
- We offer a positive, welcoming, and supportive infrastructure.
- We strive to offer compensation that works for you, whether it’s a good hourly rate of pay, a mix of pay and class-time credit, or… do you have a different idea? We’re pretty flexible!
- We offer training and development opportunities for instructors. As a Duluth Folk School instructor, we want to help you be the best you can be! And, we want you to be a part of the DFS family.
We hope you’ll seize this opportunity to strengthen your community and make Duluth an even better place to live! Ready??
Click HERE to fill out a Google Form for each class you’d like to teach.
We will review your information and contact you for additional information.
Some classes may not be a good fit for the Duluth Folk School. The Duluth Folk School retains the right to cancel classes due to low participation, weather, or other reasons. If classes are not held, instructors will not be paid.